Not a lot of Filipino hip-hop artists make it to mainstream, but they honestly deserve to be on the spotlight more. I can still remember my amazement when I first heard the likes of Al James sing live and that got me searching for similar local artists. Good thing Def Jam, one of hip-hop’s most revered record labels, has finally launched their Recognize project featuring an all-star hip-hop roster!
Rekognize is a historic hip-hop celebration that gathers more than 120+ artists and 14 music producers from the old and new schools of hip-hop for an all-star four-EP series that will roll out this year. The Rekognize project will not only introduce Def Jam Philippines’ young, stellar roster to Pinoy hip-hop fans but also to shine the spotlight on the rich and diverse Filipino hip-hop and R&B movements on the global stage and I’m here to give you a little background about the artists that you can expect to see soon.
Uniting various members of the Filipino hip-hop community, Rekognize brings not just past and current generations of Pinoy emcees in a sonically monumental event but also through compelling visual narratives. Kicking off Rekognize is the star-studded Nite N’ Day EP, which features lead singles “Beautiful Day” by Mike Swift, D-Coy, Alisson Shore, kiyo, and Mark Beats, which dropped earlier this year and followed by “Atin Ang Gabi” by Al James, Legit Misfitz, K24/7, and Calvin De Leon.
You can listen to their YouTube Music Playlist here.
You can also find H247, Solitaryo, and Pusuan Mo in the list, created by emerging hip-hop and R&B artists. The initial roster is made up of rising artists from all over the country, most of whom are at the beginning of their careers. Here’s a quick background about these fresh talents:
- VVS Collective: A rap group consisting of four talented guys who write and produce their own songs. They’re best known for their melodic trap and mumble rap style. VVS Collective also takes the distinction of being the first act signed under the label.
- Tiffany Lhei: A 13-year-old rapper from Cavite who gives off a genuine swag and confidence with her varied rhyming styles.
- SCYE: A lyrical rapper from Bulacan. With a growing collection of demos under his belt already, he caught the attention of Def Jam Philippines with his rhymes and intense, passionate delivery.
- DonWilson: A 20-year-old R&B singer-songwriter from Batangas whose music exudes sexuality and romance.
- Eurieka: A 17-year-old rapper and songwriter from Caloocan. With a combination of charm and innocence, he delivers impeccable rhymes and flows with a unique tone.
- Tommie King: A rapper and songwriter originally from Atlanta and currently based in Manila with a star quality that rivals that of local celebrities.
- J-Nine: A young R&B singer that exudes a similar vibe as Ariana Grande but has her own way of charming the people with her looks and singing ability.
- Fateeha: A 17-year-old rapper and singer-songwriter with a fantastic attitude and superstar aura—a potential international star in the making.
- JMara: A rapper and singer-songwriter from Quezon who will surely stun the audience with his unique style and strong delivery and songwriting.
From this, I can already say that Pinoy fans can expect nothing short of history in the making with Def Jam Philippines’ launch. Totally something you shouldn’t miss!
You can also add their songs to your Spotify playlist via this link.