I’m going to be honest: I stopped watching movies under the Metro Manila Film Festival after it became dominated by entries made for cheap laughter – offensive jokes and really poor storytelling included. However, this year, a couple of award-winning films have been making a lot of noise on social media and it was enough to hook me into watching select entries again this year.
For those who want to give it a shot before the films are pulled out on January 7, all you need to do is download Upstream and GMovies app via mobile or visit their websites:
- Select your film of choice via upstream.ph/MMFF by clicking “Stream Now”.
- After being redirected to the GMovies.ph website, click on “Pay Php 250” and create an account or sign in.
- Pay for the film through GCash.
- Select “My Shows” on your GMovies account or app and click “Stream Now on Upstream” to start streaming.
- You can visit the “My Shows” tab again to rewatch the film on a later date and time as long as it’s before January 7.
In case you need a guide on what to watch, here are the award-winning entries announced last Sunday (December 27, 2020) during the 2020 Metro Manila Film Festival’s Gabi ng Parangal:
- Best Visual Effects: Magikland – Richard Francia, Ryan Grimarez (Central Digital Lab)
- Best Production Design: Magikland
- Best Musical Score: Magikland
- Best Editing: Fan Girl – Benjamin Tolentino
- Best Cinematography: Fan Girl
- Best Original Theme Song: “Ulan” by Jhay Cura/Pau Protacio (The Boy Foretold by the Stars)
- Best Sound: Fan Girl – Vincent Villa
- FPJ Memorial Award: Magikland
- Gatpuno Antonio J. Villegas Cultural Award: Suarez: The Healing Priest
- Gender Sensitivity Award: The Boy Foretold by the Stars
- Special Jury Prize: Peque Gallaga
- Manay Ichu Vera-Perez Maceda Memorial Award: Gloria Romero
- Best Screenplay: Fan Girl
- Best Child Performer: Seiyo Masunaga (The Missing)
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Shaina Magdayao (Tagpuan)
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Michael de Mesa (Isa Pang Bahaghari)
- Best Actor in a Leading Role: Paulo Avelino (Fan Girl)
- Best Actress in a Leading Role: Charlie Dizon (Fan Girl)
- Best Director: Antoinette Jadaone – Fan Girl
- 3rd Best Picture: Tagpuan
- 2nd Best Picture: The Boy Foretold by the Stars
- Best Picture: Fan Girl
Happy watching! My eyes are on Fan Girl, of course. What will you be watching before the festival officially ends? Let us know by commenting below!
Note: Manila Millennial would like to thank Page One for sharing a free ticket to any of the MMFF entries this year. Much appreciated! 🙂